Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Children's Book Series That Have Stood the Test of Time

I love taking my kids to the local second-hand store. We never know what treasures we will find. A new book, a new game, some craft supplies, or some holiday decorations. A couple of months ago, my 11 year old daughter found the complete The Baby-sitter's Club book series. At this store, paperback books are only 25 cents, and that day everything in the store was 1/2 off....a complete book series for only 12.5 cents per book! I think that I was more excited than she was! I love finding a good deal, and I loved reading that series as a kid! This got me thinking about which book series I read growing up and which series my kids have read. Also, I wondered what my parents had read. I was astonished to realize that there are book series that all three generations have enjoyed and learned from. This got me wondering what book series have stood the test of time. What book series that were read by my grandparents and parents have I also read? Which of these book series have my children read or will they want to read? And will any of these books also be read by my grandchildren and great-grandchildren? My guess is that since my children still enjoy these books (some that were written well over 100 years ago) that my grandchildren will not only read these books, but they will love them as the past generations have!

 1800's

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

1900's

Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
The Oz Series - L. Frank Baum
Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter

We found this book in The Boxcar Children
series at the local second-hand store.

1920's

The Boxcar Children -Gertrude Chandler Warner       
The Hardy Boys - Franklin W. Dixon
Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne

1930's

Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Madeline - Ludwig Bemelmans
Nancy Drew - Carolyn Keene

1940's

The Black Stallion -Walter Farley
Busytown - Richard Scarry
Curious George - H.A. Rey and Margaret Rey
The Sugar Creek Gang - Paul Hutchens

1950's

The Borrowers - Mary Norton
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Ramona Quimby & Henry Huggins -Beverly Cleary

1960's

I was so excited to find The Berenstain Bears Book Series
condensed into two hardcover books!

Amelia Bedelia - Peggy Parish & Herman Parish
The Berenstain Bears -Stan & Jan Berenstain
Clifford the Big Red Dog -Norman Bridwell

1970's

Arthur -Marc Brown
Choose Your Own Adventure Books - Edward Packard
Just a Little Critter Mercer Mayer
Mr. Men books - Roger Hargreaves
One of the many books in our collection of
The Magic Tree House books

1980's

The Baby-sitters Club - Ann M. Martin
The Indian in the Cupboard - Lynne Reid Banks
The Magic School Bus -Joanna Cole

1990's

The Bailey School Kids -Marcia T. Jones & Debbie Dadey
Captain Underpants - Dav Pilkey
Goosebumps - R.L. Stine
Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
Junie B. Jones -Barbara Park
The Magic Tree House - Mary Pope Osborne

2000's

Diary of a Wimpy Kid -Jeff Kinney
How to Train Your Dragon - Cressida Cowell
Judy Moody -Megan McDonald
Percy Jackson & the Olympians - Rick Riordan
The Red Blazer Girls Michael D. Beil

Which of these book series have you enjoyed? Are there any that you would add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment