Friday, October 16, 2015

Homeschooling...It Works for Us

When someone firsts discovers that we are a homeschooling family, I am prepared for the typical bombardment of questions, and I love having the opportunity to discuss with people our family's decision. I will not try to convince anyone that they should change things and follow in our footsteps, but I will talk super positive about how homeschooling has impacted our family. A typical conversation with any given person yields in at least one (usually more) of the following questions and answers:

"Why would you do that?"

Well, we homeschool because it works for our family. I love being there to teach our kids, and I love having the opportunity to rejoice with them in their successes no matter how large or small that success is. I relish the fact that my children are each other's best friends and that they also rejoice in the successes their siblings have. I am amazed at how supportive they are of each other when they are struggling. I take comfort in knowing that when one of my kids is struggling to understand something, they know that they have a support system right at their fingertips that they can turn to without the fear of being met with any sort of negativity. I take pride in watching my kids playing and enjoying the outdoors after they have completed their daily school work...the older two have caught on that this unstructured play and exploration is also part of their school curriculum. I am not saying that families that choose not to homeschool don't support each other during hard times and rejoice together in their successes, all that I'm saying is that my family does in fact do this and that I believe that the homeschool environment makes this an easier task.

Our kiddos with the K'nex roller coaster they built after a field trip to the local second-hand store.
"Aren't you worried about socialization?"

Nope, as a matter of fact, I'm not. Last time that I checked, socialization came in more than one form, and it didn't only happen at school. My kids have learned to socialize with other kids at religious education classes at church, in sports, and at family functions (my parents do have 10 other grandkids). They have learned to socialize with adults when we frequent the local stores in town and when they go on field trips with my mom around her town. I love the fact that they are on a first name basis with so many of these adults. They have seen first-hand how to react to negative social experiences, and they have learned how to get through these types of situations. The older kids have learned how great it feels to help their younger siblings; this multi-generational socialization actually occurs less in a formal school setting than it does in our homeschool setting. So, perhaps I should turn the question. However, I believe that you are doing what works best for your family and that you don't need to be questioned over you intentions and decisions.

"You are planning on them attending school for high school; aren't you?"

We will cross that bridge when we get there. Every year, our kids are given the choice to attend public school if they would want to, and every year I evaluate our family's decision to home school. As of now, I don't foresee us changing anything, but that doesn't mean that we won't someday, some year, decide to do something different. I believe that keeping our options open and being able to evolve with our family needs is what is most important, and if that means that the kids are homeschooled until college, great. If it means that our kids one day attend public school, great. I refuse to say that we have to do things one way or another; each of our kids may have different needs that require us to change plans on an individual basis. So, while we will remain open to the possibility of public school one day, but for now we will rejoice in our decision to home school and relish every moment that we have together!

"But don't you want them to get a high school diploma?"

If that is the path that they choose, then yes, absolutely I do. However, if they decide to go on the path of obtaining their GED, that would be wonderful, as well. Last time that I checked, no college or job was able to turn away an applicant because they had a GED certificate in lieu of a high school diploma.

"How do you do it? I could never have the patience to deal with my kids every day all day."

I have never considered it as having to deal with my kids. Rather, I see it as I am blessed to get to spend all day every day with my kids. They are amazing little souls that teach me more everyday about the joy of life than I am able to teach them. I believe that we have had society tell us that we are supposed to go off to work, send our kids off to school, and live in these separate lives that happen to meet up for a couple of hours each day.  I am amazed that this has become the norm. It is normal for adults to spend the day with other adults and kids to spend their days with people of their own age...the exception to this of course is teachers. Again, I go back to the socialization aspect that was previously discussed. Why aren't we encouraged more to spend time with other humans of different age groups? We can all benefit so much from the wisdom of our elders and those younger than us. I absolutely believe that most parents would be surprised at how well they would be able to "deal" with their kids. In fact, I believe that parents and kids would actually learn to love spending more time together.

"My kids would never listen to me. How do you get yours to behave and pay attention?"

Easy, they are expected to do certain things, and they know that there are consequences for not listening and following direction. Each of my kids has had moments that they don't want to listen and do what has been asked of them. And they have learned that if they choose to throw a fit, I'm not going to argue with them or give them any attention for that matter. They will be put in their bed and asked to stay there until they decide that they are ready to do their work. Sometimes, they fall asleep while having their tantrum; other times, they are down stairs within 5 minutes and are ready to work. I have also set up the household rules that they will not be allowed to go outside, play any games, or watch any television until their schoolwork and chores are done for the day. They don't always want to listen to me, but because they know that there will be consequences, they are usually more willing to do their work in a timely manner. Trust me; your kids would learn to listen to you, just as they have learned to listen to their teachers at school.

"Why don't you like teachers?"

Believe it or not, I have never said that I don't like teachers. Do I believe that there are some not so great teachers? Sure, I do...just as there are not so great people in each and every occupation that exists. Sometimes, people get burnt out, and sometimes, they just choose the wrong path. That doesn't mean that everyone in said profession is bad, or that that individual is bad. I digress, I actually think very highly of teachers. They are trying to the best of their capabilities to teach our youth in a system that seems to making it as difficult as possible. Teachers are given very little chance to teach in the way that they know would be most beneficial. I admire them for doing everything that they do. So, in short, I love teachers. I admire teachers. But just because I love and admire teachers doesn't mean that I have to send my kids into the system that these teachers are a part of.

I love having the opportunity to talk to people about our homeschooling experiences, and I feel ever so blessed to be able to share with others what homeschooling has meant for our family. I encourage everyone to learn about things outside of their life experiences. I want my kids to be able to ask others about school without getting bias responses; just as I want my kids to give genuine answers to those that ask about homeschooling. Please don't feel that when I respond to questions with so much positivity about our decisions, that I am in any way trying to say that the choices you have made for your family are wrong or bad. I just am overjoyed with the choices that my family has made, and I couldn't be happier with the outcomes we have been experiencing. I am not saying, that because we homeschool, that everyone should homeschool. All I am saying is,
"We Homeschool Because It Works For Us!"

No comments:

Post a Comment